When you connect your Thinkware Dash Cam to a hotspot, you will be able to use Thinkware Cloud Features such as Locate Vehicle, Geo-fencing, Remote Live View, and Impact Video Notification/Upload. Here’s how to do it:
Note: Compatible hotspot devices are Smartphone Hotspot, built-in-vehicle hotspot, external hotspot device, and Wi-Fi Router.
1. Download the Thinkware Cloud App from the Apple App Store.
2. Ensure you have created a Thinkware Cloud Account, and have logged in.
3. On your iPhone go to Settings > Personal Hotspot. Ensure your Hotspot is enabled and write down your Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi Password and SSID.
4. Open the Thinkware Cloud App. Select the following from the main screen: Dash cam connection is required > Your Dash Cam Model > Connect
5. You will now be asked if it is the first connection with the dash cam. If you have not connected with this Hotspot Device specifically before, select Yes.
6. To complete the Hotspot Setup, you must first connect via WiFi as prompted by the Thinkware Cloud App. Press the Wi-Fi button once on your dash cam to activate the Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi LED will blink green when searching for Wi-Fi.
7. Once you hear "On your smartphone connect to a Wi-Fi network whose name starts with Thinkware", click Next.
7. Open your iPhone Settings > Wi-Fi.
8. Select the Wi-Fi network 'Thinkware_xx' (e.g. Thinkware_68)
9. Enter the default password '123456789' and click Join.
10. Confirm in your iPhone Settings that you are connected to the Thinkware WiFi. 'Thinkware_xx' *If this disconnects immediately, please refer to Disabling WiFi Assist.
11. Open the Thinkware Cloud App. You will hear "Connected to a smartphone" and the Green LED will stay solid.
12. Leaving the Personal Hotspot enabled, input the Personal Hotspot Password and SSID we wrote down in Step 3 then press Input Complete.
13. Next the dash cam will announce "Disconnected from a smartphone, The device will find a Wi-Fi Hotspot. Turn on your personal Hotspot". *The WiFi LED will also begin blinking blue.
14. Stay on the Hotspot Settings Screen until the 3 following events occur;
a. Blue Personal Hotspot Connection appears at the top of the phone screen.
b. Solid Blue WiFi LED on the dash cam.
c. Dash Cam will announce "Connected to the Internet" - Note that opening the Thinkware Cloud App prematurely will cause the connection to fail. You will need to restart from Step 4.
15. Once you have confirmed the three conditions above have been met, reopen the Thinkware Cloud App. You should see “Registration Complete”
16. Next you will be asked to agree to the Service Terms. Click on each of the 3 Service Terms. 18. Lastly, select “Agreed to all” to confirm the Service Terms.
After timing out or turning off the iPhone's screen, your iPhone may disconnect from the Thinkware Cloud App. You may hear "Disconnected from a Smartphone" in this case.
However, because the dash cam is still connected to the internet, the Blue LED should remain solid. Simply reopen the Thinkware Cloud App to hear "Connected to a Smartphone" again.